Friday, October 3, 2008

Forgiveness

The spirit must be freed from tethers so strong and feelings never put to rest, so that the lift of life may give buoyancy to the soul. In many families, there are hurt feelings and a reluctance to forgive. It doesn’t really matter what the issue was. It cannot and should not be left to injure. Blame keeps wounds open. Only forgiveness heals. George Herbert, an early 17th-century poet, wrote these lines: “He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach heaven, for everyone has need of forgiveness.”
Thomas S Monson

As conference nears this fall weekend. My thoughts fall on family and friends. The need to forgive is so strong. Forgiveness is what makes us whole. There are so many people who are in our lives, its hard to know who did what and who said what. Thats life we need to forgive, and move on. Life is not to dwell on things of the past. Its not to dwell on the things people have done to you or what you think they might have done. heavenly father wants us to forgive and forgive allways,and quickly. Thomas S. Monson said " Forgiveness gives buoyancy to the soul."
My mother said something that surprised me very much the other day. I am not sure what the topic that we were speaking about was on, but it matches this perfectly. My parents were divorced about 10 years ago. With divorce comes many hurtful feelings, to everybody. It seemed like my father and mother would never forgive what the other did to them. Yesterday my mom said " I am starting to realize there is stuff that I did and said that was a mistake that I made while I was married to your dad." I was surprised by this, I didn't think those words would come out of my mothers mouth. This was a sure sign my mother was slowly starting to forgive my father. When you start seeing the weekness in you,thats when you start too realy forgive!
Life is full of worries. Trust me I have about the worst anxiety of about anybody. That is why I am such a quiet person. I am allways worried what other people think of me. Or if I am going to do something stupid in front of people. If more people were forgiving I would probably be a more out going person. I try not to talk about other people in a negative way, But we all do. This is something everyone needs to work on. The whole country needs to work on this.
I am sorry if I have said or done anything to offend another person. I know I have many weaknesses. I will forgive everybody for anything they have said or done to me. I do this because I know it will bring happiness to my soul and the lives around me. so that I won't worry about everybody else, but I will worry about myself and the things I do or say.
The primary song " If the savior stood beside me." This song teaches that even if we can't see the savior , He's there, and we should act accordingly. “He is always near me, though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care.
So I’ll be the kind of person that I know I’d like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.”*

1 comment:

Steph said...

That was very well written. Im glad you wrote that i need to work better on forgiving others even if i feel it will not help the situation. I like what you said about holding on to things and not forgiving is like having an open wound and forgiving can make your soul light.